Drug & Drug still on hiatus
It seems the break will be longer than expected. New chapter was supposed to be released in this month’s Young Ace, but it wasn’t. It looks like CLAMP is working on some mysterious project they seem excited about, so maybe that’s why.
On the other hand I’m yet to receive a single application for the position of translator, so if you’ll willing to help be sure to check this post. The clock is ticking, only two weeks before new Young Ace is released.
Green Drugstore is looking for a new Japanese to English translator.
Potential candidates should take the test and send it over to hydreg [at] gmail [dot] com.
Furthermore, applicants should meet following requirements:
- translation needs to be done within a week (2 weeks at the very most), though God knows I am pretty lenient with deadlines
- you will have to provide means of contact (e-mail, facebook, twitter, tumblr, skype, whatever works for you) that you actually check frequently
- knowledge regarding other CLAMP works would be a plus, but it’s not necessary
You will be provided with Japanese script like the one included in the test file (unless you don’t really need it, in which case please notify me).
And that’s it! If you have any questions don’t hestitate to contact me.
Even if you cannot help us directly, it would be awesome if you could signal boost this post. Thanks in advance :)
Drug &Drop, volume 2 Drop no. 17
Man, everything that could go wrong with releasing a chapter went wrong all at once with this one. I really apologize for such a terrible delay.
- this is most likely the last chapter of volume 2, seeing as it didn’t have any color spread and the fact that volume 2 was recently released
- volume 2 was released along volume 1 of xxxHolic: Rei. To commemorate this event, a special hotsite was launched. Animate shops had a campaign, where postcards featuring cover illustrations of Drug&Drop vol. 2 and xxxHolic: Rei vol.1 were added to every purchase. Additionally, Clamp News twitter account had a set of matching icons with protagonists of those series
- during October CLAMP posted a bunch of Halloween-themed illustrations featuring Drug&Drop chracters
- last but not the least, Kimberley stepped down as our translator for personal reasons. She will, however, remain a member of our staff - as proofreader. That means the position of translator is now open. Recruitment details will be given in my next post, but informations provided in my last recruitment post still apply.
Q:Heeeey, sorry to be a bother; but I noticed on the site I read Drug & Drop on, they've got chapter 17 up in Spanish, but you guys haven't released it yet. (Spanish ch17 was uploaded... 2 weeks ago.) I've seen a few other mangas that have regular updates that appear in Spanish usually a week before the English. I was just wondering why there's a delay/when to expect chapter 17. (And if you maybe need help getting the chapter/future chapters out.)
There are a few factors contributing to late releases. First would be the fact that me and our translator both have jobs now. Until around May our system was to get raws, edit, translate and release a chapter, all in span of 1-3 days. Now I have a job that requires me to code for 8 hours a day and I really don’t feel like spending another 8 sitting in front of the computer editing raws when I get home, so I edit them in batches. This way edition takes about 4-5 days. Same goes with translator, so translating and typesetting takes up to another 5-7 days.
I receive raws between 10th and 15th each month, add around two weeks of editing/translating to that and the final release ends up at the end of a month.
This month is even worse, cause I can’t seem to get in touch with our scanner. I waited extra week for the scans and then e-mailed her asking what’s wrong, but she won’t reply. I guess something must’ve happened but I have no way to check on her.
Right now I’m editing low quality scans available online, but it takes a lot of time to make them look presentable.
Actually, I think it would be better for me to give up and pass this project to some other scanlation group, but it’s my baby and I am determined to work on it until the end.
As for Spanish scanlators, I guess they used Chinese scans which are pre-edited and they either translated the chapter from Chinese/Japanese or used rough Chinese to English translation available on-line. I don’t want to do any of that, because I value quality over quantity. Otherwise, they just might have their own scan provider/time/manpower that I unfortunately don’t have.
I should have the scans ready until Saturday and then everything will depend on how fast translator can get them done. Besides, Drug will be on break until November, so there really isn’t that much of a hurry.
Considering that there is no real bottleneck slowing things down, just delays on every stage of scanlation, I don’t think there’s anything that can be done. Unless you know where to get hq scans soon after Young Ace issue is released, in which case let me know.
Either way, feel free to read the chapters in Spanish if they are released earlier. I can release chapters only this fast, given available resources and the quality I want to maitain.
Q:How many chapters do you think Drug & Drop will have until it ends? Do you think it'll end soon?
That’s an interesting one. It was originally planned to have 15 volumes. I’m afraid that xxxHolic took many of subplot ideas that were meant for Drug, though. As it is now it seems that CLAMP just wants to swiftly wrap up the story, so I doubt it will get more than 2 more volumes (hey, that’s still 1,5-2 years to go timewise). Unfortunately, 10 years of hiatus was simply too much for this series, authors clearly aren’t as engaged as they were in 2003. At least we’ll learn how it ends, X and Clover fans didn’t have this luxury.
Q:Hi! Any news about chap. 14? Thanks!
I have raw chapter all edited, but I can’t seem to reach my translator. What’s worse, I’m staying overtime at work this week, so I won’t be able to search for a substitute until Friday. Worst comes to worst, chapters 14 and 15 will be released together.